With contaminated site specialists in Canada, the United States, Europe, Asia Pacific and Africa, we know how to satisfy regulators and offer practical advice, expertise and experience to solve a range of issues. SLR’s clients include lenders, legal advisors, government agencies, and industrial and commercial operations.
How can we help?
- Due diligence, high level or preliminary assessment to identify or refute potential contamination risks (e.g. Phase I and II Site Assessments)
- Site investigation for all contaminant types (oils/fuels, chemicals, metals, VOCs etc.) and media (vapours, soil, sediment, surface water, groundwater).
- Risk Assessments - screening level through detailed human health and ecological risk assessments as well as toxicity studies and remediation target derivation
- Remediation Services – design and implementation of remedial plans, negotiating clean up standards, risk mitigation, material/waste management, and decommissioning and site closure
- Regulatory specialists with detailed knowledge of government regulations both locally and across international markets.
- Contaminant hydrogeologists, geologists, risk assessors, toxicologists, engineers, biologists and scientists specialising in management of land quality issues.
- Professionals with direct experience of contamination issues and solutions in wide ranging sectors and industries such as real estate development, oil and gas, chemicals, energy, and government.
Our team includes
Scott Miller has over 26 years of professional consulting experience. Scott has considerable experience with all aspects of environmental assessment, planning, permitting, remediation, site regulatory closure, management, and costing. He brings experience with large, complex environmental cleanup projects involving multi-party agreements, multi-agency involvement, and tribal and landowner issues.
Mohammad is a chemical engineer with more than 30 years of experience in the environmental field. He has extensive experience with environmental compliance, process engineering and design, development of lifecycle costs, and assessment of liability and financial risk analysis associated with site characterization and remediation projects. Mohammad has worked with a number of landfills, serving as the project manager for a number of landfills in the California area.
Stan Flagel has over 23 years of experience as a field geologist, hydrogeologist, and project manager. He has planned and overseen investigations at a range of sites including airports, mineral prospects and mines, active oil fields, refineries, wood treating facilities, railroad yards, military installations, and industrial properties in Alaska, California, Colorado, Kansas, and Wyoming. He has led numerous site characterisations requiring innovative strategies for acquiring soil, surface water, and groundwater data. Stan has experience analysing large complex dataset in support of site characterisation, risk assessment, remediation, property transfer, and regulatory closure. He is strong technical writer and has prepared and edited RCRA and CERCLA investigation work plans and investigation reports, technical memorandums, and CERCLA Purposed Plans and Records of Decision. Stan has more than 14 years of experience working in Alaska and has good working relationships with the Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation (ADEC) and Region 10 EPA. In addition, Stan has represented clients in meeting with State and Federal regulators, and in public forums. He has also provided clients with litigation support as a fact witness, testifying at both depositions and in court.
Jason Fernet is a Professional Engineer and Connecticut Licenced Environmental Professional. Jason has experience as an engineer in remedial design/remedial action programmes, site investigation, preparing construction specifications, decommissioning, decontamination and demolition (DDD) management, hazardous and PCB waste management and multimedia permitting in various sectors across the United States. He has prepared remedial designs, feasibility studies, and construction bid documents, served as Engineer-of-Record, and managed remedial activities at complex sites undergoing clean up and redevelopment under expedited schedules. Jason has provided third-party review for agency negotiations on environmental clean up-related issues. He has developed and implemented TSCA PCB clean up plans in EPA Regions 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 9.