Kleen Energy power plant water supply system
- Client Name
- Kleen Energy Systems
- Connecticut, USA
- Water & wastewater engineering
- Construction services
SLR provided permitting, engineering design, and construction administration services for the water supply infrastructure to serve a 620-megawatt, gas fired power plant located on 137 acres in Middletown, Connecticut. The water supply system conveyed water a distance of over 1 mile and 500 vertical feet above the source and required treatment to meet strict water quality standards for the power facility. The project was designed for a peak daily flow rate of 5.8 mgd. The water withdrawal system was also designed to provide supplemental supply for municipal potable supply in addition to the power generation facility.
The water supply system provides a peak flow of 5.8 MGD. The project included design, specifications, and full time construction oversight for the following infrastructure elements:
- Dual horizontal “Ranney” collector wells and associated pump stations, each utilising three 300 HP vertical turbine pumps
- Industrial water treatment plant for iron and manganese removal, and disinfection
- Three water storage facilities, providing a total of 5.5 million gallons of storage
- SCADA system integration
- Midpoint water booster station containing three 150 HP horizontal split case pumps
- Power plant supply pump station containing three 75 HP horizontal split case pumps
- 6,800 linear feet of 20 inch and 24-inch water main with surge relief valves
The project was awarded the 2011 Achievement in Civil Engineering (ACE) for Water Resources / Environmental Engineering by the Connecticut Society of Civil Engineers.