Perth Stadium construction noise and and vibration management plan
- Client Name
- Public Transport Authority Western Australia and Ertech Keller Joint Venture
- Perth, Western Australia, Australia
- Acoustics & vibration
The Perth Stadium is a multi-purpose, 60,000 seat world-class venue in Perth, Western Australia. The venue hosts major national and international sporting and entertainment events.
To attract the best, the acoustics of the venue must be world class.To satisfy the community and government, noise from its construction and operation must meet stringent environmental plans.
Our team was engaged to support an early works Construction Noise and Vibration Management Plan, to facilitate the construction of the Stadium and associated sport and entertainment precinct. SLR was also engaged to undertake long term construction noise and vibration monitoring across the site. This construction program included some of the largest piles ever driven into the Swan River to support the Matagarup Bridge, and this required significant noise management measures.
SLR was the lead for the environmental noise and vibration assessment of the stadium infrastructure, and prepared an Operational Noise and Vibration Management Plan for the supporting infrastructure and surrounding locality.This included auralisation studies for crowds around the Matagarup Bridge, and the Victoria Park Stow road areas.
Endorsement by the Western Australian Government of the plan allowed the Stadium and associated sport and entertainment precinct to be realised as “permitted development” with no further development approvals required.
Specifically, our team provided the following services:
- Identify noise and vibration sensitive locations in relation to the various construction activities of the project.
- Establish construction noise and vibration assessment criteria, based on state environmental noise regulations and relevant vibration assessment standards.
- Predict noise and vibration impacts associated with construction activities based on likely construction equipment to be used and other identified principal construction noise sources, and provide mitigation and control measures
- Provide a preliminary assessment of underwater noise impacts on marine fauna species and mitigation/control recommendations in relation to the piling works in the Swan River during the construction of the pedestrian bridge.
Our team was able to demonstrate compliance with project criteria without specific acoustic treatment for some areas whilst also providing recommendations for installations of noise barriers for some noise and vibration impacted areas, to ensure minimal impacts residents and the community.