TotalEnergies - Proposed Exploration and Appraisal Well Drilling in Block 2912, Southern Namibia
10 May 2023 | Client: TotalEnergies E&P Namibia B.V. (TEEPNA)
TotalEnergies E&P Namibia B.V. (TEEPNA) is proposing to undertake exploration and appraisal well drilling in Block 2912 off the southern coast of Namibia. Block 2912 is located approximately 290 km offshore at its closet point in water depths of 2 940 m to 3 800 m. TEEPNA is proposing to undertake the following exploration activities in a 5 206 square km area of interest in Block 2912: Drilling of up to 10 exploration and/or appraisal wells, vertical seismic profiling, well testing, abandonment of wellheads, sonar bathymetry surveys and seafloor sampling and coring surveys.
TEEPNA has appointed SLR to undertake the required Environmental and Social Impact Assessment process.
Telephone: SMS/WhatsApp: +264 81 357 2109
An Application for an Environmental Clearance Certificate (ECC) to undertake the proposed exploration activities has been submitted to the Namibian Ministry of Mines and Energy (MME) and the Ministry of Environment, Forestry and Tourism (MEFT). The Final Scoping Report was accepted by MEFT on 03 February 2023.
A Draft Environmental and Social Impact Assessment (ESIA) Report was compiled and made available for a 21-day comment period from 14 February to 07 March 2023. The Draft ESIA Report has now been updated to a Final ESIA Report and submitted to MEFT and MME for decision-making. All comments received on the Draft ESIA Report were collated and responded to in a Comments and Responses Report which was appended to the Final ESIA Report (see Appendix 4 below). The decision on the application was issued on 10 May 2023 and is available for download below.
For information purposes, the full Final ESIA Report is available for download below.
Environmental Clearance Certificate
- Appendix 1: CVs of ESIA Project Team
- Appendix 2: Acceptance of Final Scoping Report
- Appendix 3: Impact Assessment Methodology
- Appendix 4: Public Consultation Information
- Appendix 5: Drilling Discharges Modelling
- Appendix 6: Oil Spill Modelling
- Appendix 7: Underwater Noise Modelling
- Appendix 8: Marine Fauna Impact Assessment
- Appendix 9: Fisheries Impact Assessment
- Appendix 10: Socio-Economic Impact Assessment
- Appendix 11: Cultural Heritage Impact Assessment
- Appendix 12: Climate Change and Air Quality Impact Assessment