Millerhill Anaerobic Digestion Plant
- Client Name
- Alauna Renewable Energy / Kelda Water Services
- Millerhill, Edinburgh, UK
- Sustainable waste management
- Process engineering
- Environmental management, permitting & compliance
The Millerhill anaerobic digestion plant is designed to process c 30ktpa of residential and I&C source segregated food waste from the Midlothian and City of Edinburgh local authority areas. Renewable electricity is to be generated from combustion of the Biogas in the CHP unit, and end-of-waste designation is to be sought for the digestate output.
The facility targets a net electricity output of 325kWh/te food waste input. In addition to this, attainment of PAS: 110 certification is desirable to maximise the value of the digestate output. Other project objectives outlined by the Authority included: maximising plant flexibility and future proofing the facility to enable future interface with potential DHN scheme.
- Project management – Provided ancillary project management support to Kelda principal. Monitor of obligations under the EPC contract and client authority on many contractual issues.
- Technical reviewer – Reviewed aspects of plant design and particularly changes in front-end and process equipment. Provided technical input on discussions including those related to site safety and instrumentation.
- Commissioning – Functionality and commissioning tests witness. Provided Commissioning Manager to monitor progress and aid Contractor in commissioning management.
- Legislative compliance – Principal liaison with SEPA and ABPR regulatory bodies to ensure site compliance. Planning advisor to client.
- BREEAM assessor