Brisbane International Cruise Terminal traffic modelling assessment
- Client Name
- Port of Brisbane Pty Ltd
- Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
- Mobility & sustainable transport solutions
- Transportation engineering
- Transport modelling
The Port of Brisbane is well advanced with the design and construction of the master plan for the Brisbane International Cruise Terminal.
Given the scale of the car parking areas and anticipated passenger numbers, the client needed to better understand the operation of the internal road layout.
SLR was engaged to undertake a microsimulation traffic modelling assessment to assist with the identification of any possible bottlenecks and provide the potential for rapid design revisions to optimise access, safety and convenience for customers.
Our team was able to visualise individual traffic and pedestrian movements in both 2D and 3D using the VISSIM software platform.
The microsimulation model was able to:
- Assist with the identification of any possible bottlenecks due to circulation issues
- Allow rapid sensitivity and option testing dependent on the adjustment of key parameters, for example cruise ship capacity and kiss ‘n’ ride dwell time
- Determine storage and geometry requirements for parking and layover facilities
- Provide a basis for design enhancements that lead to a more robust internal road and parking layout, which was subsequently constructed by Port of Brisbane.