A382 road widening scheme
- Client Name
- Devon County Council
The scheme involved highway improvements and new junctions between Newton Abbot and the A38 to accommodate increasing traffic volumes and proposed new development on the edge of the town.
The commission included an appraisal of two alignment options alongside Stover Park, a Registered Historic Park and Garden with associated listed buildings and structures.
The existing road is bordered by woodland, hedgebanks and mature trees, a country park, a golf course, historic parkland and operational quarries and required assessment of the effects on landscape features, landscape character and views.
The Landscape Team worked alongside in-house ecologists; noise, hydrology and cultural heritage specialists to propose measures to minimise and mitigate adverse effects.
The scheme received planning consent in 2018 and SLR have received a further commission to look at Devon County Council’s proposed adjustments to the Southern end of the scheme. Planning application will be lodged in 2019.
- Route option assessment adjacent to a Registered Historic Park and Garden in accordance with DMRB methodologies.
- Advice on the vertical and horizontal alignment of the road, tree retention and removal.
- Mitigation options and plans.
- Planting plans and plant schedules prepared in conjunction with the ecologists.
- A landscape and visual assessment chapter for the Environmental Statement.
- Input into the landscape and ecological management plan.