Geotechnical Investigation for Marine Ocean Terminal
The Site 1 Landfill at the Marine Ocean Terminal in Concord (MOTCO) was historically formed by pushing waste out into the adjacent tidal marsh; resulting in submerged waste and portions of the waste mass within the tidal fluctuation zone. The landfill is underlain by San Francisco Bay Mud, which experienced appreciable settlements under the approximately 118,500cy of fill brought in as part of earlier closure effort grading.
SLR was retained as part of a design-built team lead by American Integrated Services (AIS) to perform the geotechnical analysis in support of the design of the final cover. Our team provided the following services:
- Conducted a field investigation in an area where unexploded ordinances (UXO) were a concern.
- Designed and monitored a geotechnical testing laboratory program.
- Performed stability analysis.
- Assessed the liquefaction and soil softening potential under seismic loading.
- Estimated the settlement under the loading from the soil cover.
- Proposed all supporting documents.