Magino Gold Mine
The Magino Project is located in a sparsely populated area of central Ontario. The total reserves are approximately 1.7 million ounces of gold. A total of 220 million tonnes of rock will be mined from an open pit; 60 million tonnes of which is ore.
Prodigy Gold, Inc. has completed a Pre- feasibility Study and is currently undertaking the necessary federal and provincial environ-mental assessment processes and continuing to consult with local communities and First Nations groups.
- Biologic, hydrologic, and hydrogeologic field data collection and baseline studies.
- Preparation of the federal Project Description Report (PDR) and Environmental Assessment (EA) Report.
- Project effects analyses and mitigation measures.
- Obtained approval of federal PDR with limited comments and delays.
- Tailings deposition trade off studies. Conceptual designs for the tailings and waste rock management (including acid generating waste), surface water and groundwater management systems.
- Preparation of Draught and Certified Closure Plan and cost estimates.
- Design of tailings management facility, and portions of the waste rock and water management systems.
- Established a cost-effective approach to managing tailings and waste rock in a confined site.
- Established design approaches for allowing open pit mining to occur close to permanent lakes.