CIVITAS Destinations - Sustainable mobility in Mediterranean and Atlantic island tourist cities
- Client Name
- The European Commission
- International transport and mobility research
The CIVITAS DESTINATIONS project set out to demonstrate and test innovative solutions for cleaner and better urban transport and mobility in European tourist destinations, not least because achieving sustainable mobility is a vital part of their success and growth.
A set of mutually reinforcing, innovative mobility solutions have been implemented in six urban areas of varying sizes and characteristics, which shared common challenges: Funchal, Portugal; Limassol, Cyprus; Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain; La Valetta, Malta; Elba, Italy; and Rethymno, Greece.
SLR is supporting planners in these cities with stakeholder engagement, service and infrastructure design, and is also leading the task of unlocking private sector funding and investment.
Through our support and by trialling initiatives such as eBus fleets, eBikes, mobile and gamification apps, solar EV charging and improved access for the visually and physically impaired, we are trying to ensure:
- Sustainable Urban Mobility Planning (SUMP) for residents and visitors
- Safe, attractive and accessible public spaces for all generations
- Shared mobility and e-infrastructures towards zero emissions transport
- Smart and clean urban freight logistics at tourist destinations
- Mobility management and awareness for sustainable mobility
- Attractive, clean, accessible and efficient public transport
Achieving these will increase the attractiveness of cities, for tourists, businesses and residents alike.