Avonmouth Energy Recovery Facility
Multi-disciplinary technical services were provided in developing an energy recovery facility (ERF) on a heavily contaminated brownfield site from a history of industrial use. The site had been a carbon black manufacturing facility involving the thermal decomposition of heavy hydrocarbons, resulting in a high risk of migration of hydrocarbon contamination off site to the local watercourses. Our Land Quality and Engineering teams managed the site, controlling the site drainage and run-off to prevent contamination from leaving the site thus protecting the client from potential action from the Environment Agency. SLR managed the demolition and remediation strategy of the project through assisting in contractor procurement, site supervision, oversight and validation reporting. The Land Quality team carried out ground investigations and developed a quantitative risk assessment to derive remedial targets.
Additional Services Provided:
- Completed a pre-acquisition due diligence.
- Planning services that covered initial consultation, detailed application support, planning appeal and assisting the client with reserved matters to allow the development works to proceed.
- Supplied new facility designs for the planning application including layout plans, elevations and sections with considerations to safe public site access.
- Secured an environmental permit for the operation of the ERF.
- Procurement and contract management of a geotechnical ground investigation in support of the development and preparation of outline geotechnical design.
- Acted as the Principal Designer and Principal Contractor throughout the site investigation stage. A comprehensive pre-construction information pack was provisioned for the EPC contractor.
- Provided ongoing technical support throughout the construction of the facility, including ecological services, the design of road realignment works required to provide safe HGV access including the design of retaining wall solutions for drainage ditches adjacent to the highway.