Technical Presentation: Structural Design for Vibration-Sensitive Environments
Presented By: Brad Pridham, Ph.D., P.Eng. Principal, Technical Director, SLR Consulting Canada Ltd.
The effects of vibration on the performance of building environments are varied, ranging from disruptions to sensitive equipment and procedures, reduced occupant comfort, and in extreme conditions, losses from damage. Ultra- sensitive environments present unique challenges to structural engineering due to the requirements for motion thresholds that are orders of magnitude below human perception levels, and evolving technologies that require increasingly quieter environments. Close collaboration between structural designers and specialized vibration consultants is essential to success.
This seminar provides a comprehensive review of common sources of vibration that impact building environments and approaches to controlling their effects on performance. Through presentation of fundamental concepts and illustrative case studies, participants will attain helpful guidelines that may be applied to their building designs.
- Gain an understanding of the nature and significance of commonly encountered sources of vibration in buildings such as environmental sources (road & rail traffic), occupant activity and building services;
- Gain an understanding of the significance of the vibration path and how strategic siting and layouts can reduce the cost of vibration control;
- Gain an understanding of how a building responds to vibration and approaches to designing specific sources;
- Gain an understanding of successful approaches to collaboration between vibration consultant and structural design team; and,
- Be able to apply a group of guidelines for consideration during the vibration design of their facility.
About Our Speaker:
Brad is a vibration and acoustics specialist with SLR Consulting in Guelph, Ontario. He earned his Ph.D. in Structural Engineering, with a focus on dynamic analysis of structural systems subjected to wind, earthquake and other environmental loads. He has 16+ years of experience working with building design teams to solve complex vibration problems.
During his career he has been actively involved in the design of numerous healthcare, science & technology, and higher education facilities where low-vibration environments are critical to functionality. His experience also includes wind-tunnel testing and damper design for buildings and bridges.
7:30 - 9:00am
This is a virtual seminar and the schedule will be as follows:
7:30am DVASE Announcements and Speaker Introduction
7:40am Seminar Presentation & Q&A
Zoom Details for all registrants will be shared 24 hours in advance.
DVASE members: FREE, Non-members: $55.00*