Client: Wesco Waste Management Facility (Pty) Ltd
Wesco Waste Management Facility - Proposed Wesco Waste Management Facility, Western Cape
Interwaste (Pty) Ltd (Interwaste), owned by the Séché Environnement Group (Séché), is proposing to construct and operate a new integrated waste management facility on Portion 1 of the Farm Brakkefontein No. 32. The property is located between the R27 and R304, approximately 35 km north of the Cape Town metropolitan area, 5 km south of Atlantis Industrial and 2 km north-east of Duynefontein.
The registered landowner for the property is Varenne Investments (Pty) Ltd, a subsidiary of Séché. The applicant for the proposed facility will be Wesco Waste Management Facility (Pty) Ltd (a subsidiary of Interwaste). Wesco Waste Management Facility (Pty) Ltd intend to make an application for the following:
- Waste Management Licence (WML) under National Environmental Management: Waste Act, 2008 (Act 59 of 2008) (NEM:WA);
- Environmental Authorisation (EA) under National Environmental Management Act, 1998 (Act 107 of 1998) (NEMA) and Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) Regulations, 2014 (as amended);
- Water Use Licence (WUL) in terms of National Water Act, 1998 (No. 36 of 1998) (NWA); and
- A heritage permit under the National Heritage Resources Act, 1999 (No. 25 of 1999) (NHRA).
SLR Consulting (South Africa) (Pty) Ltd (SLR) has been appointed by Interwaste to undertake the Scoping and EIA process required in terms of the NEMA and NEM:WA. SLR has also been appointed to undertake the WULA process in terms of the NWA.
A Background Information Document (BID), which provides preliminary project information, a description of the baseline environment and the Scoping and EIA process is available below for review and initial comment. Should you wish to register or provide any initial comments, kindly forward your details to SLR using the Registration and Response Form (at the contact details above) by no later than 14 December 2022. Registered I&APs will receive future information about the proposed project, the ESIA process, opportunities for comment and public meetings, and be invited to contribute comments on the proposed project.
Notice is also hereby given that information-sharing meetings will be held on 6 and 7 December 2022. The purpose of these meetings is to provide a basic overview of the proposed project and allow an opportunity to raise any initial issues or concerns. The details of this meetings are provided below:
- 6 December 2022 [16h00 – 18h00] - Atlantis Community Church (Corner of Acacia Crescent and Acacia Close)
- 7 December 2022 [10h00 – 12h00] - Melkbos Country Club (1 Robben Road, Melkbosstrand)
- 7 December 2022 [16h00 – 18h00] - Philadelphia NG Kerk Boeresaal (Church St, Philadelphia)
Please click here to register to attend any of these public meetings. Alternatively you may contact SLR using the details above.